Monday, June 3, 2013

3 Tips for a Better LinkedIn Experience

I've noticed a trend in helping clients enhance results with their LinkedIn profile and connections, so thought I'd share some of the things I've learned to help people use LinkedIn more effectively.  Disclaimer: This reflects my personal/professional opinion.  I am not claiming to be a LinkedIn POC. There are lots of great experts out there already, but I hope this will be a great place to get started for some, and motivation to tweak something for improved results! 

1. PHOTO Have a professional-and-friendly-looking photo on your profile.  I can't express enough what a disappointment it is when I see that a person's profile looks interesting, but they neglected to include a photo!!  Also, I know I am not alone in this: I use the LinkedIn app on my smartphone often when meeting people for coffee or lunch to more easily recognize them in a crowd.  Not including a photo is handicapping you in business.  Quit making excuses; get over yourself- no one looks perfect! Make an appointment right now if you need an updated photo.  When the photo is ready, upload it.  (Or pay someone a nominal fee to do it for you if you are truly having technical difficulties.)

2. SUMMARY I get annoyed if there is no personality in the summary, and also if it is the length of a book.  Strive for 1-4 paragraphs.  Show your professional philosophy, passion in your work, what your career stands for, etc.  PLEASE: keep it professional, but not BORING.  Look through LinkedIn to see examples of what others are doing that you dis/like, and then modify yours to fit YOU.

3. EXPERIENCE  This isn't meant to be the same as your resume/CV- my advice is to keep the descriptions somewhat brief.  Include the positions you want to include, with full awareness that people notice and formulate a perspective about your history.  This is a bad place for bragging and inaccuracies (I never support these!).  Of course, it is good to include board and committee positions, but there is a point where it looks overdone.  Keep in mind the overall picture of your career path and the messages you are sending.  Take the time to do it well, and don't assume it will be completed in one sit-down session.

Questions to answer during the process:  What are you most proud of in your career(s)?  What were some of your most memorable accomplishments?  How did you add value to the organization?

Bonus: Get involved in groups that are relevant/interesting to you, and post helpful items and questions to your connections. PLEASE don't be sales-y with your posts. Be genuine with your online relationship-building, and it will be more enjoyable and effective.

To your continued success,
Heather A Legge
Envision Success Inc-Coaching in Business for Results

No comments:

Post a Comment