Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Where Does The Time Go?

If you're not sure where your time is going, tracking what you spend time on is the BEST way to get to any core issues.  Yeah, I know- it's a pain.  But, SOOOO worth it!  You will be amazed - likely you'll be both pleasantly surprised and completely disgusted after reviewing your results.  Importantly, you'll gain insight and motivation to make some changes to you can get more priority stuff done in less time.   Following are tips for tracking so you can make changes and reap the benefits of better time use!


For best decision-making on where to make changes, you'll need to track for at least a week.  You don't have to do it forever, just until you have information for making the situation better.

You can use paper, a spreadsheet, or go high-tech with a tracking app on your phone.  Whatever works for YOU is fine.

Take a look at your calendar to get an idea of what "buckets" of time use you will want to track. You don't want too many, but it's helpful to have at least some categories to lump similar things together so the results are easier to interpret.

Quit putting it off and just do it.

Here's what I do:
  • I use an app on my smartphone that allows me to set up custom categories, is quick and easy to use, and has good reporting features so I have the information I need.  
  • I track in 15min increments at the smallest. 
  • The key is to decide what YOU want to track without getting too granular, and doing it consistently over time so your data is useful. 
  • I have continued tracking all work days for a few years and have found running reports periodically to be very helpful in structuring my work-days for max effectiveness.

I've decided to include more specifics for those who want to know:  I use "Time Recording Pro" for Android. My current categories are as follows:  Client Appt Paid, Client Care, Admin & Mktg, Sales, Networking & Relationships, Meeting Prep & Transit, Get Good, Speaking Prep, Leadership Role Service, Asset Creation, ESI Coach Support, and  I also have some for Personal, Household, Nap, and a separate business venture.

SEE UPDATED POST HERE

To your continued success, 
Heather A Legge
Coaching Leaders to Build Their Legacy
www.EnvisionSuccessInc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment