Monday, February 6, 2012

Part 1: How Today's Leaders Are Like Successful Athletes

I was asked recently what I think today's business leaders need to be doing differently than 4-5 years ago, in consideration of the economic changes. I came up with a three-part model and used the ever-popular sports analogy for my answer. Upon reflection, I decided to share it out to the blogosphere in hopes that it is helpful for leaders at all levels in terms of creating more personal and professional success for themselves and others.

Part 1 of 3
Consider your favorite team-sport athletes with the most long-running career success. Let's borrow the strategy & apply these concepts to create long-running success in business:

1. They go to work on themself.
Athletes with the longest career success show us how to work on oneself and take responsibility for their own performance. They work on their own self (for long hours, practicing, repeating, and seeking ways to do better, better, better...) to build skills and lay a strong foundation for winning performance. Plus, even when experiencing consistent wins, they continue to work on their own performance.


They also understand what they can and cannot control. I have come to realize there is a lot going on in this world that I cannot control (finally!). When I remember that I am only in charge of what happens inside the frame of my own body, including my mind of course, and that I am 100% responsible for everything going on within that frame, I am much more effective, calm, responsive, and frankly, happy.   Generally speaking, athletes understand this far better than business professionals (who often fall prey to "blame game" office conditioning). 

In terms of knowing what to control, leaders must buy into and apply fully the concept of Personal Leadership. In other words, that of being 100% responsible for their own personal effectiveness now and consistent efforts at improving it into the future. Significantly enhanced effectiveness is a key result of accepting Personal Leadership. 

Unfortunately, the traditional model of management used in most corporate environments today borrows heavily from "Motivation 2.0" as Daniel H. Pink  discusses in his book Drive. The downside of this norm is that it way over-values face-time in the office due to a lack of trust of employees.  Managers are basically saying "I have to see you toiling while you are physically in the office, or I assume you are not doing anything." This has created a culture that essentially rewards the idea of "I don't care what you're doing as long as you look busy" because the the emphasis is on the daily physical behaviors instead of the results. Bzzzzzz; this is the wrong answer! 

Taking action that makes a difference (helps win the game) is far more valuable than looking busy. Not only does it significantly impact the bottom line, but it enhances personal satisfaction. As leaders, go to work on yourself consistently, and encourage everyone around you to do the same. Be responsible for your own actions, your failures, and your successes; be ultimately responsible for your own effectiveness and results.

Part 2